Monday, February 28, 2011

Mardi Gras

I haven't lived in New Orleans in ten years but am so excited to be leaving tomorrow to celebrate my sisters birthday and Mardi Gras. My husband can't make it so I'm super bummed but we plan on going next year.

Growing up in New Orleans we didn't see the "wild boob mardi gras" that everyone sees on tv. 

Mardi Gras is family oriented and not what you see on tv. Bourbon street is not Mardi Gras...



Family 
These makeshift ladder seats are everywhere and if you grew up in Nola that means your butt was stuck in one of these during the parade. 




Colors
 purple represents justice; green, faith; and gold, power




King cake
For the full history of the King cake click here.


The bands
This has always been one of my favorite parts of the parade. The best of the best. 


Costumes
Culture of the Indians and the outfits


None of these images are my property. I will have plenty of my own photos to post in about
a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, <3 Heidi

Lovers

Old stuff